Thursday, August 13, 2009

$ THINKING OUTSIDE THE MEAT BOX $







The meat industry has gone through a lot of changes in the last 20 years. Some mandated by the government and some influenced by the market place. Let’s talk about box meat which has become the way for just about all operators.
Without going through all the yada, yada of the times here is something that I decided to do.
I started buying the sides of beef from a local established federal approved plant which is also kosher approved.
Basically my beef prices per pound as a whole have dropped substantially. The impact on payroll has been minimum ( some of you may recalled than the Chef or Sous Chefs use to do this )
My expenses in creating a butcher room were almost non although I did buy a band saw.
I spent some time on my menus, recipes, and my popularity index to make sure my sales mix was where I want it to be. I have different outlets so I end up using the whole side of beef pretty evenly.

We do generate the standard P & L format for the industry but I privately work with the chair rent concept versus food cost. Basically I know the exact contribution to my bottom line for every item I sell. Why is this important to me ? I deposit $$ in the bank, not cost.

A great many operations can do the same . You need to change the rules so to speak so you can take advantage of the situation. Just because it is standard practice by most it does not mean you should accepted blindly.

Depending on your (unit or units ) you will impact your P & L substantially.

Joseph
jiardizon @yahoo.com
http://wellworthyourtime.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment